Seeking a healthy snack that you can savor? Try these delectable, nutritious choices.
By Alison Gilbert, ’11 & Victoria Slater, ’12
1 cup frozen strawberries
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
1. Place the strawberries, yogurt, orange juice and honey in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and frothy.
3-1/2 cups Quaker oats
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pinch kosher salt
1 cup dried fruit
1. Heat oven to 350°
2. Combine the oats and almonds with the maple syrup, oil, and salt, and then spread on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 25-to-30 minutes or until golden. Top with fruit.
Sweet Potato Fries
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
A pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 500º.
2. Slice sweet potatoes into long pieces.
3. Pour oil on to a baking pan, add the sweet potatoes and mix. Arrange the slices on the pan and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20 minutes.
4. Add salt as needed.
12 asparagus spears, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup mild salsa
1/2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 cloves garlic
2 onions, sliced
1. Place the asparagus in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Place the asparagus, salsa, cilantro, garlic and green onions in a food processor or blender and process.
3. Refrigerate until chilled.