By Alison Gilbert ’11 & Elise Murray ’12
1. The Comeback Kid: After a decade dominated by skinny-jeans, loose, ’70s-inspired jeans are back. The definite denim of the season, this style is figure flattering, while still staying chic and trendy. Pair them with colorful platform heels and a tucked-in top for the perfect spring to summer ensemble.
2. We Want Wedges: The perfect solution to any fashionista’s sore feet, wedges, also known as “flatforms” are tall like platform sandals with the feel and comfort of flats. These shoes are extremely versatile and are easily dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. Try them with a bold print mini dress for a night out on the town, or for a more casual look throw them on with a pair of dark wash, cuffed jean shorts and a ruffled tank.
3. Knitting is In: With a nod to the beauty of handmade designs, crochet took the spring/summer 2011 runways by storm. Crochet mixes modern style with a vintage charm and can be seen in many of spring’s tops, dresses and accessories. This trend is alluring because of its low-key, Bohemian, yet still chic vibe. For an easy way to enjoy this trend, check out a simple crochet tote or satchel, but for a more substantial piece, try a light weight knit sweater or body conscious dress.
4. Be Bold, Be Beautiful: The brighter, the better. This season, neutrals are out. For a fun summer look, try a printed top or bright colored dress, paired with a wedge heel or high-waisted jeans. Add some bold jewelry and you’re good to go.
5. The Everyday Accessory: This spring, the must-have accessory is thick, plastic bangles and bracelets. This trend is as accessible as it is versatile and can be worn all year long. However, avoid cluttering the arm with too many, distracting from the entire outfit. In this case, less is more.